Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Rainer Maria

Sometimes, every once in a while my judgement is off when I gather my first impression. A few years back I read an interview with Rainer Maria in Magnet Magazine, and for whatever reason, thought they came off a bit arrogant or whatever. Some friends had some cd's and spoke highly of them, but I never really gave them a chance. Last summer however, I went to go see Denison Wittmer play a show in Cincinnatti and catch up with my roomate who was touring with Denison and Rainer Maria was on the same bill. About two or three songs into Rainer Maria's set I realized that my first impression was wrong. I leaned over to my friend Stevie and said something to the effect of, "Shit, I had already decided I didn't like this band. What now?" The obvious answer was to just accept I was wrong, and dive into fandom. I saw them once since that show and there live show was just as excellent the second time. Maybe even more so.

At any rate, there is some news today on Pitchfork about a new album and a tour. If you get a chance to see them live, definately do so. And on their website linked above you can check out a track from the new album. Someday I will learn how to download and link mp3's to this page, but until then...

No comments: