Thursday, February 02, 2006

Happy Groundhog's Day Rantings

So, Phil predicted six more weeks of winter. Interesting. I am assuming that may lead President Bush to hold a press conference on the White House lawn and declare that due to Phil's prediction we can consider global warming to be a farce. Science and Kyoto Protocol be damned! I mean if global warming existed, why would we have 6 more weeks of winter right?

I guess I am feeling a little sarcastic this morning. I mean our President wouldn't do that, right? He stated in the SOTU that we cut oil imports by 75%! However as a reader of Andrew Sullivan points out, can we really expect that? I guess I'll believe it when I see results from the $1.7 billion Hydrogen car initiative.

And now more lunacy from my Christian Brothers and Sisters


You know what, while I am ranting let me point this out. The movie End of The Spear recently hit theaters. I have not seen the film yet and won't go too much into the story. I'll just say that it's the story of a missionary family and forgiveness. It's a story that if well told and filmed can definately be a catalyst for deeper discussions on issues of faith and other cultiures. Some of the producers were hoping for a Passion of the Christ type turnout for this film. That, however, does not look like it will happen. Why? What's the controversy? The lead actor in the film happens to be a gay male.

The NY Times has an artcle on the contoversy. (try bugmenot if you are password blocked. It's truly a fascinating and depressing read. One excerpt, One Web log, nossobrii.blogspot .com, written by Kevin T. Bauder, president of Central Baptist Seminary in Minneapolis, stated in a Jan. 13 entry: "Granted, we must not overreact. And it would probably be an overreaction to firebomb these men's houses. But what they have done is no mistake. It is a calculated strategy." You can't make this stuff up. Seriously. Now what exactly is the calculated strategy. Is somehow the overiding message of Christ's love and forgiveness suddenly lost because a gay actor plays a role of the missionary? The sad thing is, a vast monority of people would even know that the actor was gay were it not for the overeaction of some preachers.

However, it's not all doom and gloom. Some people have their head on right. And suprsingly enough one of those groups is Focus on the Family who are said to be 'saddened by theangry email responses from Christians about the film." And that they hoped that the film's "overall message should overide such considerations" Thank you. That seems so obvious to me. How can it be so lost on so many others.

And, finally, I changed the settings on the blog here so if you feel like commenting on anything you can do so without needing to sign in. Comments always welcome.

No comments: