Friday, April 21, 2006

MySpace as a crime fighting device?

I remember vividly staying in and not going to the next to last Constitutional Law class I had during my Senior Year at college because I was watching CNN in total disbelief as they covered the Columbine shootings. I remember talking to my Mom on the phone and hearing her crying about it. All I could do was stare in disbelief at the TV for hours. This story from that was 7 years ago yesterday.

Apparently according to this story on CNN.com there was a plot to somehow, disgustingly honor that anniversary with a similar shooting in Kansas. According to the report, the plot was pretty far along and detailed. And according to the report, the plot was snuffed after authorities were alerted after one of the soon to be gunmen posted about it on of all places MySpace.

There is so much in this report that I find unsettling. It's difficult to even make a Myspace joke. It's just one of those "What the hell?" moments.

Of course over at Andrew Sullivan's page they go beyond the initial "what the hell" reaction and talks briefly about "massacare as spectacle," the web, and cries for attention. Food for thought.

No comments: