Monday, April 03, 2006

A less than satisfactory Crew's year weekend...

I must admit, I had built up the opener of Columbus Crew season in such a fashion that I don't think I would have been satisfied with anything less than a two goal victory. Amazingly, or not so amazingly if you have been a fan of the Crew for any period of time, they wound up losing by two goals, 3-1.

That's not to say there were not bright spots, Danny Szetela looked good in midfield. Kei Kamara got his first goal, in his first ever game. But, man oh man that defense, what the hell? That was supposed to be our strength? My friend Megan was over for the last half hour of the game, she said repeatedly, "Scot, I have never seen you like this before, I have never sen this side of you," as I would stare at the tv sadly, with bursts of "Guy's come on, WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?!?!" But, hey, 31 games left. Plenty of time to get things right.

In somewhat related MLS news, check out the blog ridehorsey where Indianapolis native Mike searches for an MLS team to call his own. He sent out a letter to every GM,asking why he should pick there team, and has already recieved one back from Real Salt Lake who made a pretty convincing case. Amazingly RSL, may have even had a worse opener than Columbus. Ugh. At any rate it should be interesting reading.

3 comments:

Jim said...

Sounds like the Crew defense is as bad as the Fire's defense.

scot said...

I gotta think it will get better, but Rusty Pierce STILL is not MLS quality. He gets cut from the worst defensive team ever last year, and somehow atarts the first game of the Sigi era. I don't get it. Oh well.

Mike said...

Thanks for the link.