Saturday, April 01, 2006

The 38th Street Project, what the hell?

I like to think of myself overall as a positive person, if a bit cynical at times. I think I am optimistic most the time. In sports and love, sometimes optimistic to the point of unneccessary heartbreak even. A few months back though I wondered when the hell they would finally finish up the 38th Street project here in Indy. I still wonder aloud.

For those who do not know, a strech of 38th Street anhd the fairgrounds is being widened and apparently beautified. There seemed to be some progress down past Crown Hill and the IMA a little while ago where there were medians in the road planted with flowers and new light posts up. But last time I drove through there I think it was one lane traffic again. I just shook my head.

This has seemingly been going on forever, I lived at 36th and Washington Boulevard for years, and remember it going on at least 2-3 years back. Now that I live north of 38th, I need to cross it on my way to work at The Childrens Museum. For the past month I have hoped each day that I would see some work being done, but no. Instead I need to slow to a virtual snails pace each day to cross the street, since there is a huge part of the street torn up, and just left there. It's been this way for a month. Apparently the project itself is scheduled to be finished some time in 2007 or 2008, if I remember correctly. Amazing.

At any rate, David Hoppe takes note of it here, among other things. And he brings up an interesting question, If it takes this much time to refinish a road from I-465 to the State Fairgrounds, how long do you think it will take to build I-69?
It's safe to say, I don't know. And I really don't want to.

On a completely seperate note...just to prove it's all not doom and gloom here, since it's Opening day for the Columbus Crew, Happy Crew's Year, everybody. See, I'm positive at heart.

No comments: