Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Great News from Criterion Collection
It's a short list of things make me happier than a 13-0 victory for the Phillies over the Mets. But at the top of that list is films by Krzysztof Kieslowski. And waking up to confirmation that Criterion Collection is issuing The Double Life of Veronique, well that made me very happy.
And check out these extras...
• Audio commentary by film scholar Annette Insdorf
• Three short documentary films by Kieslowski: Factory (1970), Hospital (1976), and Railway Station (1980)
• Kieslowski -- Dialogue (1991), a documentary featuring a candid interview with Kieslowski and rare behind-the-scenes footage from the set of The Double Life of Veronique
• 1966 -- 1988: Kieslowski, Polish Filmmaker, a 2005 documentary tracing the filmmaker's work in Poland, from his days as a student through The Double Life of Veronique
• A 2005 interview with actress Irene Jacob
• New video interview with cinematographer Slawomir Idziak
• New video interview with composer Zbigniew Preisner
• The Musicians (1958), a short film by Kieslowski's teacher Kazimierz Karabasz
• New and improved English subtitle translation
• PLUS: A book featuring new essays by Jonathan Romney, Slavoj Zizek, and Peter Cowie, and excerpts from Kieslowski on Kieslowski
I gotta assume that will be a double disc. I can't wait.