Thursday, February 16, 2006

Dario Argento - Italian Master of Horror.

Artists have a right to be a bit freakish, right? Dario Argento, if his films are any indication seems to fit this bill. A few years back my roomate spotted a documentary on IFC on Argento. They called him the "Italian Hitchcock" in the documentary. I wouldn't say that exactly. Argento's films are much darker and much more grisly. I am not entirely a fan of gore or violence so I can't explain my fascination with this director. I have Trauma at home and another Argento in the Netflix queue. While his movies have more gore than I would normally watch, and the acting is often very suspect, the films drip with atmosphere. Argento definately used music to achieve this in many films including Suspiria which many consider to be his classic. One of the bands he consistently uses for music is Goblin. Seriously. You can't make this stuff up. Anyway he's not for everyone surely. I don't even know why he's for me. But, if you are interested in checking out Argento, Suspiria is as good a place as any to start.

No comments: